Switzerland is the gold standard for all other watchmakers because of its illustrious past and legacy of fine craftsmanship. By the end of the 18th century, Geneva was exporting more than 60,000 watches annually after the Swiss watch industry progressively rose to prominence during the 16th century as the center of excellent watchmaking. The perpetual watch, which served as the model for today’s self-winding clock, was one of the inventions of this era. Switzerland’s luck wouldn’t last forever. Seiko’s Quartz Crisis wrecked the industry in the 1970s and 1980s. The Astron, introduced by the Japanese firm in 1969, was the first commercially accessible quartz-clock wristwatch. The traditional watch business was slow to respond to these technological advancements. The Astron showed that a clock may be powered by a crystal, battery, and motors.
- It was impossible to resist the allure of this brand-new, cutting-edge technology, which could tell the time much more precisely and cost a lot less money. The classic brands started to suffer as watchmakers in the US and the Far East started to prosper. Around 900 Swiss watch companies are thought to have filed for bankruptcy during this time, which resulted in the loss of jobs for two-thirds of the workforce.
- This dark chapter in the history of Swiss watchmaking quickly passed after several decades of industrial turmoil and with watchmakers all over the world tackling the challenge of creating the slimmest, highest-quality quartz clocks. Traditionalists accepted quartz technology, which has subsequently flourished thanks to technological advancements like solar and motion-powered timepieces.
- Quartz watches still fall short of the expert engineering of a mechanical movement watch, according to traditionalists. Quartz, however, is definitely worth taking into account because of its exact precision, thoughtful detail, and attractive aesthetics.
- The Quartz Crisis is now but a distant memory in the lengthy and esteemed history of Swiss watchmaking. As a result of its acceptance of quartz as a practical power source, the term “Swiss quartz movement” has come to represent excellence in both heritage and craftsmanship.
What Is A Quartz Watch Movement?
The primary power source for a quartz watch movement is a battery. The movement of the hands is powered by the movement of the dial. A little quartz crystal is electrified and vibrates as a result of an electrical current flowing through it from the battery. The watch’s hands are moved by a motor powered by the movement’s oscillations. The second hand of a quartz watch moves in discrete ticks, unlike the smooth sweeping action of a mechanical movement. Because of its unwavering dependability, a quartz movement is almost certainly the brains behind a commonplace wristwatch. In reality, around 90% of the world’s timepieces are powered by batteries. Maintenance is minimal and the price is far less expensive. When you consider that a quartz watch’s timekeeping is the most precise currently available, it’s easy to see why the advent of quartz caused such a stir in the horological community.
How Exactly Does The Movement Of A Quartz Watch Work?
- Quartz Crystal
The crystal vibrates 32,768 times per second as a result of the electric charge. Circuitry in the stepping motor detects these oscillations and converts them into electrical pulses for transmission.
Using an integrated circuit, the battery transmits power to the quartz crystal, which has the appearance of a tuning fork.
- Stepping Motor
The stepping motor is powered by electrical pulses, and it uses that mechanical power to turn the gears.
- Dial Train
The dial train moves the watch’s hands, and one pulse is transmitted to this area every second.
- Watch Hands
The watch hands are driven by this pulse, which gives them their distinctive characteristic ticking action. It’s helpful to first examine the mechanical watch to comprehend why a quartz movement offers higher accuracy than any other form of movement. When a mechanical movement is wound, energy from the winding must pass through all of its numerous parts, which use the energy and cause incremental power loss.
However, because there are fewer moving parts in quartz movements, any energy required to maintain the crystal rotating is retained.
The Benefits Of Quartz Movement Watches
- More Affordable – Battery-powered quartz watches demand fewer components and higher levels of watchmaking skill than their complicated mechanical counterparts. This all adds up to a product that is more reasonably priced.
- Superior Accuracy – The frequency of an oscillation in a quartz crystal never changes. This natural rhythm produces outstanding accuracy and is far more dependable than the mechanical watch’s physical movements.
- More durable – A quartz watch has a lot fewer moving components than a mechanical one, which reduces the number of things that can need fixing. A quartz watch is incredibly durable and can last a lifetime.
Maintainance Of Quartz Movement Watches
Change the battery promptly
Make sure to replace the watch’s battery as soon as it needs to be done. Dead batteries will leak, necessitating comprehensive servicing to clean the clock. Fortunately, changing a battery is a very easy process that many watchmakers can perform.
Get your timepiece regularly serviced
A quartz watch will require maintenance, much like any high-end timepiece. However, because there are so few moving components, it requires minimal maintenance and only needs a professional service once every ten years. However, it’s always a good idea to confirm this with the recommendations of your specific watch brand.
Consider proper storage
The two best ways to keep your timepiece safe and free from any bumps or scratches when it’s not being worn are a specially built watch box and the original display box.
Get your timepiece regularly serviced
A quartz watch will require maintenance, much like any high-end timepiece. However, because there are so few moving components, it requires minimal maintenance and only needs professional service once every ten years. However, it’s always a good idea to confirm this with the recommendations of your specific watch brand.
Wrapping It Up
If you are familiar with the fundamental watch lingo, selecting the Best Quartz Movement Watches won’t be too difficult in any circumstance. You can choose a watch that fits your personality and your budget by keeping the aforementioned factors in mind. We sincerely hope that our wristwatch style guide proved useful.
So don’t put it off any longer and start shopping for the perfect wristwatch you can also get the best watch from Tsarbomba.